Monday, May 9, 2011

Start Your Week Right: With My Morning Jacket – Weeks Go By Like Days

Well, hello! It’s nice to see you again! I hope you’ve all had a fantastic weekend. A few things My Morning Jacket-related have happened since last week: a live stream of the May 31st show on YouTube (to be directed by Todd Haynes), a WFPK radio interview with Tom and Patrick, and a special single of “Holdin On To Black Metal” to be released on May 17th! Not to mention some kickass previews for that May 31st Louisville show and livestream!

We’ve continued to celebrate demos and covers from MMJ’s earlier years over at The Countdown, jammin’ out to “That Someone Else Was You” and a cover of the lovely Erykah Badu’sTyrone” - two MMJ classics that are highly recommended. Another element was added to The Countdown last week when we learned of the Circuital leak that occurred Monday, May 5th. Some of us (myself included) have decided that we’re going to hold out until the end (that is, May 31stdid you get it?!). I intend on carrying out The Countdown with my ears virgin to Circuital. As for the rest of you, I’ve been hearing good things about the album. Enjoy it!

Forever: that's how long it would take.
forever: not as long as a day.

In the wake of this new MMJ era, let’s take a step back into The Jacket’s earlier days and check out a track off 2004’s Chapter One: The Sandworm Cometh: Early Recordings, “Weeks Go By Like Days.”

“Long is the road”
I have always been told.
How lonely can one boy be?

This simple yet stellar track from those charming “early years” is another one of those tracks that is so honest – lyrically and emotionally – that it can cut right into your heart if you let it. Youth and youth’s optimism ooze from this track as Jim claims that there is something out there worth waiting forever for.

“Long is the road”
I have always been told.
How long can one man wait?
Forever.

As I lay here, bumming on my sister’s couch (now and for the next few days), I come to appreciate these early songs, particularly “Weeks” because it has the immaturity of early MMJ, but flecks of what My Morning Jacket has become still shine through. I love this track because, at its core, it is a youthful look at love and, of course, that sweet feeling of invincibility.

Hope you all have a great week and have more than enough things to appreciate!

0 comments: